Canada is not leaving any stone unturned to make it possible for foreign nationals to stay and work in Canada. The lenience has come to very convenient levels now. This shows in the new temporary policy. It benefits temporary residents in the country with job offers.
As per this policy that was announced last month, foreign nationals with valid status can apply for work permits with job offers from within Canada. The non-compliance with certain temporary residence conditions won’t lead to the work permit being denied. Also, former foreign workers who are eligible may be permitted to work, even with a pending decision on their work permit.
If the foreign national in Canada has a legal visitor status in Canada, he/she may apply for a work permit that is employer-specific. If not a legal visitor status, the candidate may even have an implied status.
They must have been physically present in Canada on 24th August 2020 and must not have left the country after that.
IRCC officers are to consider the expiry date of the time of authorized stay to be treated as the date of decision on the application submitted.
Also, temporary workers in Canada who have changed their visa status to “visitor” to stay back legally in the country during COVID-19 can work until they meet eligibility criteria like:
- The candidate is a valid temporary resident as a visitor and has been physically present in Canada on 24th August 2020 and ever since
- The candidate has held a valid work permit in the 12 months before the date of submission of their application for a work permit under the new policy even if the applicant is in Canada currently holding the status of a visitor
- The candidate must have the intention to work for the employer
- The candidate must work in a job specified by the LMIA or the LMIA-exempt employment offer that’s included in the application for work permit submitted under the new public policy
- The candidate has applied to the IRCC using the webform for the interim authorization to work
- The candidate has requested to make the work authorization applicable until a decision on work permit application is made
With the new system, the requirement for the applicant to have had left Canada and come back to activate the visa will no more be applied. This is to prevent COVID-19 being prevented.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
IRCC – Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada