- Families can live together
- Study full-time
- Work Permit
- Opportunities for Canada PR for children
- Access to affordable healthcare
Canada Dependent Permit – Settle With Your Family
The Government of Canada allows eligible residents over the age of 18 to sponsor dependent spouses, children, parents, partners, and grandparents to live with them in Canada to make it easier for families to live together.
The Canada Dependent Permit enables you to bring your dependents to Canada and allows them to work or study full-time if they have the required permits. You can sponsor the following relatives for a dependent permit under the Canada Dependent Permit:
- Spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner
- Dependent children under the age of 21
- Dependent parents or grandparents
- Child adopted outside Canada while you held a Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residency
- Brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or other close relatives
- The relations you sponsor can live with you in Canada.
- Your spouse or conjugal partner can also submit for a Work Permit in order to work in Canada
Eligibility requirements to sponsor a dependent
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You should not be seeking government assistance except for a disability.
- You must meet the low-income threshold
- You must be legally married to your spouse
- You must have a genuine relationship with your dependents
Documents required for Canada dependent permit
- Passport & travel history
- Background verification
- Marriage certificate
- Other proof of relationship
- Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
- Complete form and consulate fees
Eligibility requirements to sponsor a spouse
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must live in Canada or expect to return once your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident
- You must be able and willing to meet your spouse’s or partner’s basic financial needs for the next three years
- Your partner must be a member of the family class, otherwise you will not be able to sponsor them. You must be a citizen, permanent resident, or have a work permit to sponsor your spouse.
- You must have a genuine relationship with your spouse which was not entered into just for the permanent resident status. The duration of your relationship must be at least a year old.
Child permit to bring dependent children to Canada
Sponsors may bring their children to Canada on a dependent permit:
- When a child is adopted outside of Canada when the sponsor is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- The candidate intends to adopt a child in Canada.
- If the sponsor’s brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter is an orphan and meets the eligibility requirements, they will be considered for sponsorship.
Eligibility conditions to sponsor a child
- The child must be under the age of 22 and have no spouse, common-law wife, or conjugal partner.
- The sponsor’s dependent child must be his biological or adopted child.
- The child must demonstrate that he is financially dependent on the sponsor/parent.
- There is no age limit for dependent children who are unable to support themselves due to a physical or mental illness.
- The sponsor must provide evidence of his relationship with the children who are financially dependent on him.
- Dependent children must undergo a medical test to have evidence that they are not involved in any criminal cases.
- The medical examination must be done by a physician appointed by the Canadian government.
Is IELTS a requirement for a dependent permit in Canada?
The IELTS exam is not required for a Canada Dependent Permit. This will, however, add bonus points to the primary candidate if they submit the result along with the form. In this case, the dependent has to score 6 or higher in their IELTS exam. It raises the sponsor’s profile and increases the likelihood of securing a Canada Permanent Residency.
Is it legal for a dependent to work in Canada?
In Canada, dependents are allowed to work. For this, they’ll need an Open Work Permit. They will be able to work full-time in any part of Canada without any restrictions. They are allowed to live and work in any part of the country except Quebec.
This Permit can only be obtained after they arrive in Canada. They must then submit a Work or Study Permit as soon as possible. A sponsor with a valid Canada Permit can only submit for an Open Work Permit.
Can I sponsor my parents to Canada?
Yes, you can sponsor your parents to Canada if:
- Your age is at least 18 years
- You reside in Canada
- You are a Canada Permanent Residency/Citizen/ individual registered in Canada as an Indian as per the Canadian Indian Act
- You have adequate funds to sponsor your parents to Canada
- You must be able to offer your proof of income to prove that you have adequate funds
Can I invite my parents to Canada?
Yes, you can invite your parents to Canada through the Super Visa. They can come and settle with you in Canada if you are a Canada Permanent Residency/Citizen. You must prove your relationship with your parents to the IRCC to be eligible to submit for the Super Visa.
How long does it take to get a Dependent Permit for Canada?
It should take roughly 3 months after submission of all the paperwork for the interview to be held at the Embassy of Canada where the dependent resides. After this, it is more or less waiting for the Permit to be stamped on the Passport.
What are the rules to follow while pertaining a sponsorship permit for your spouse?
In order to submit a permit for your spouse or conjugal partner you and your partner must be 18 years or above.
Your partner must be a member of the family class, otherwise you will not be able to sponsor them. You must be a citizen, permanent resident, or have a work permit to sponsor your spouse.
You must have a genuine relationship with your spouse which was not entered into just for the permanent resident status. The duration of your relationship must be at least a year old.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.