Canada parent migration
When it comes to migration of parents of immigrants living in Canada, the country offers many options to help parents migrate to Canada.
Canada Dependent Permit
The Canada Dependent Visa enables you to bring your parents to Canada and allows them to work or study full-time if they possess the required permits.
Eligibility requirements to sponsor parents
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You should not be seeking government assistance except for a disability.
- You must meet the low-income threshold
- You must be legally married to your spouse
- You must have a genuine relationship with your dependents
- Passport and travel history
- Background verification
- Marriage certificate
- Other proof of relationship
- Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
- Duly filled forms and consulate fees
Canada PGP program
The reunification of families has always been welcomed by Canada and the IRCC has concentrated on immigrant families being reunited in Canada. The consequence of this initiative is that more than ten thousand supported family members are accepted as Permanent Residents to come to Canada each year.
One immigration program which facilitates this is the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) which was introduced in 2011 and has been modified over the years.
The PGP is regarded as a viable method to bring a family member to the country and help in their settlement. From the government’s side, the PGP acts as strong motive for immigrants to choose Canada because it gives them the option of bringing their parents or grandparents to the country once they settle down.
Eligibility criteria for sponsors under the PGP program
According to the IRCC, Canadian nationals, permanent residents, and registered First Nations can sponsor their own parents or grandparents.
Sponsors must be 18 years of age or older, residing in Canada, and must have enough financial resources to help the individuals they choose to sponsor.
For 20 years, beginning when they become permanent residents, they need to have enough financial resources to sponsor supported family members.
Canada Super Visa
The Super Visa is a multiple entry visa that allows visa holders to make multiple entries to the country for up to ten years. The permit allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit their family and stay in Canada for up to two years.
Eligibility conditions for applicant:
- Parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Candidates must have a letter of invitation from their child or grandchild living in Canada
- Candidates must have a letter that promises financial support from their child or grandchild living in Canada during the period of stay in Canada
- Proof of their relationship with their child or grandchild
- Proof of medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company with a policy that is valid for at least a year from the date of entry and provides a minimum coverage of 100,000 dollars
- Candidates must have completed and passed an immigration medical examination for the permit.
- Proof that their child or grandchild meets the income requirements to submit for a Canada Super Visa
- Candidates must have a copy of their child or grandchild’s Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residency
How long does it take to obtain a Canada Dependent Permit?
After submitting all the paperwork, it may take about three months for the interview to take place at the Canadian Embassy where the dependent resides. Following this, it is a matter of waiting for the Visa to be stamped on the passport.
What is the PGP submission process?
Step 1: Potential sponsors indicate their interest
To ensure the process is fair, a random selection process will then be used and all potential sponsors have an equal opportunity to send an interest to sponsor form and a chance to be invited to apply.
Step 2: Invitations to apply will be sent to potential sponsors
All submissions will be checked for duplicate entries and the forms are selected randomly by IRCC.
Step 3: Forms are submitted
Potential sponsors who obtain an invitation to apply will get 60 days period to submit their completed forms.
What is the Canada Super visa submission process?
Applicants for the super visa can submit the form from outside Canada.
- The form can be filled online or on paper.
- Requirements for the form includes letter of invitation from your child or grandchild, copy of medical insurance policy, and a report confirming the candidates went through the mandatory medical examination.
- The fees must be paid in Canadian Dollars.
- Family members submitting for the visa must be in one package.
- The processing time depends on the location of the immigration office.
- Candidates may have to attend a immigration interview.
How is the Super Visa different from other Dependent Visas to Canada?
The Canada Super Visa is different from a visit visa or a multiple-entry visa to the country. Most visitors come to Canada for a visit with a duration of six months. In case they need to extend their stay, they must once more pay the required fees.
The Canada Super Visa allows parents and grandparents to extend their stay without having to renew their visa status. Super visa holders can visit their children or grandchildren for a two-year duration. The multiple-entry facility in the visa allows multiple entries to Canada for up to ten years.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.