Canada Express Entry
Canada is a popular destination for people wanting to migrate to another country. The country is a favorite option because of its welcoming attitude to immigrants and various job opportunities for a young and skilled workforce.
Canada promises a comfortable lifestyle and the right living conditions. One of the options to migrate to Canada is to obtain a Permanent Resident (PR) visa. This visa is valid for five years and can be renewed.
In order to get your Canada PR visa, you will have to go through an application process. You can apply for the PR visa under the various immigration programs the government of Canada offers. Among the various immigration programs, the Express Entry system is the most popular.
This immigration program was started in 2015 for managing the applications under its Economic Class immigration programs.
Canada immigration programs work on a points-based system. An applicant must score a minimum number of points to gain the eligibility to apply for a PR visa. The applicants score points on various criteria such as age, language, education and work experience.
Here are the points you can score under the various criteria to meet the eligibility requirement:
- Age: You can score the maximum points if you are between 18-35 years. Those above this age will gain lesser points.
- Education: Your minimum educational qualification must be equal to the higher secondary education level in Canada.
- Work experience: To score the minimum points you should have at least one year of work experience. More years of work experience will help you gain more points.
- Language ability: You must have at least 6 bands in your IELTS equivalent to CLB 7 to be eligible to apply. Higher scores mean more points.
- Adaptability: You gain ten points on the adaptability factor if your family members or close relatives are living in Canada and will be able to support you when you move in there.
- Arranged employment: A valid job offer from a Canadian employer entitles you for ten points.
You need to have a minimum of 67 points out of 100 to enter the Express Entry pool. Once your application is in the Express Entry pool you will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) based on the Express Entry draw that is conducted periodically.
The Express Entry program has streamlined the immigration process and made it more transparent. Key details of the program are:
- The program has no cap on applicants and is open throughout the year
- The program is applicable to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Traders Program, and Canadian Experience Class Immigration Program
- Applicants must submit an Expression of Interest to apply for this program
- Their profile will be evaluated based on points and will be placed in the applicant pool
- Applicants with the highest points are sent invitations to apply for PR
- Annual Immigration Level determine the number of ITAs that can be issued
- Valid passport
- Proof of age
- Identity proof
- Certificates to support your educational qualifications
- IELTS scorecard with the valid score
- Certificates to prove medical fitness
- Police clearance certificate
Y-Axis Can Help You With
- Qualification / Education Assessment
- Customized Document Checklist and critical document templates
- Guidance on key documentation requirements
- Filing of an online application form to create a profile for Invitation
- IELTS Guidance document
What is the minimum IELTS score required for Canada Express Entry?
The test results score in IELTS is a crucial requirement for creating a profile and submitting Expression of Interest. This is in the Canada Express Entry System. The applicants must have minimum CLB 7 (Canadian Language Benchmark) in the test for English language proficiency. This is as per the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
What are the documents you must submit with your PR application once you get your ITA through the Express Entry pool?
- Medical Certificate
- Police clearance certificate
- Proof of details about you and your family members- birth certificates, marriage certificate, passport, etc.
- Proof that you have funds to support your initial stay in Canada with your family members
How many points are required for Canada Express Entry?
Applicants of Canada Express Entry must score at least 67 points out of 100. This is based on their Language Proficiency, Work Experience, Education, Age, etc. Only then they can qualify for the FSWP – Federal Skilled Worker Program under Express Entry. The requirement of 67 points remains unchanged in 2019.
These are the criteria and the maximum points you can score under each of them:
What documents are required for Canada Express entry?
Documents are not required to be uploaded while creating a profile in the Express Entry. However, you may need information from a few or all of the below documents:
- Travel document or passport
- Results of the language test
- ECA report (Education Credential Assessment) if
- You are submitting the application through the FSWP (Federal Skilled Workers Program) or
- You want to obtain points for education obtained overseas
- Nomination from a province if you have one
- Written employment offer from a Canadian employer if you have one
You will have to upload the copies of the above documents if you are offered an invitation to apply for Canada PR Visa. Majority of the applicants will also have to upload the below:
- Proof of funds
- Medical exams
- Police certificates
How can I apply for Canada Express Entry?
Here the step to how to apply for Canada Express Entry:
The Canada Express Entry is a digital system that manages PR Visa applications from skilled workers.
Step # 1: Find out if you are eligible
There are 2 methods by which you can assess your eligibility for a program in the Express Entry:
- Answer some queries to determine if you fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria
- Go through the exhaustive details of each program
Step # 2: Prepare the documents
You will require documents such as the results of language tests to demonstrate that you meet the criteria for Express Entry. It takes a long time to get some documents and you must get them ready as soon as possible.
Step # 3: Submit the profile
You will have to offer diverse detail regarding yourself in the Express Entry profile. IRCC will enter you in the pool of candidates if you are qualified. Then it will rank you in the Express Entry pool based on a scheme of points. Your score will be determined by the information you offer in your profile.
Step # 4: Receive an ITA and apply for PR Visa
IRCC will send ITAs – Invitations to Apply to the highest scoring candidates in the pool. You have 60 days for submission of your PR application if you obtain an ITA. The majority of the applications that are complete with all the required documents are processed within six months or even earlier.
Canada offers various immigration programs through which you can apply for a PR visa, the most popular one is the Express Entry program. The Express Entry program for Canada PR has its own eligibility requirements and application procedure.
What is the next step after receiving ITA from Canada through Express Entry?
The applicant who receives an ITA must fill the application forms and upload the required documents. This is according to the checklist issued by IRCC. They must then obtain police clearance, medical reports, and pay the specified fees. The specified funds must be shown by them and the application must be submitted within 60 days.
Should I apply for Canada PR or Express Entry through a consultant or on my own?
You are free to apply for Express Entry or Canada PR on your own. However, there are innumerable pathways for PR, several documents required, and specific rules. It is advisable that you avail services of reputed Immigration Consultants to maximize the success rate of your application
Is IELTS Compulsory for Spouse under Express Entry PR Visa for Canada?
Canada PR Visa does not mandate that the IELTS score of the spouse has to be offered by the applicant. However, if offered, this will incur extra points to the principal applicant.
What does it take to get Canadian PR without a job offer via Express Entry?
The applicant is required to secure at least 67 points out of 100. This is based on diverse factors like Language Proficiency, Work Experience, Education, and Age. Other factors include work experience, study, or close relative in Canada who is a Canadian Citizen or PR Visa holder.
Why does Canada accept foreign nationals through express entry?
Express Entry has faster processing times of 6 months or even less for Canada PR Visa applications. It is for skilled overseas immigrants who intend to permanently settle in Canada with family.
Express Entry ensures that candidates who are mainly expected to economically succeed in Canada are able to migrate to the nation. This is rather than those who are just first in the line.
What is the Express Entry System of Canada?
Introduced in 2015, the Express Entry System is the primary source of skilled workers from other countries, also called skilled foreign workers. With a declining birth rate and an aging population, Canada relies heavily on immigrants for its population growth.
The Express Entry System of Canada is for managing the pool of candidates for 3 of Canada’s high-skilled immigration programs that come under the federal government of Canada. These 3 programs are –
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
Profiles of those candidates that are eligible for either of the programs above-mentioned are placed in the Express Entry pool. Once in the pool, the profiles are allotted points for different factors, such as – age, education, proficiency in the English/French language, experience in skilled work etc. It is on the basis of the points awarded that the profiles are ranked against each other as per the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
Is a job offer compulsory for Express Entry?
No. A valid job offer from an employer in Canada is not required to be eligible under the Express Entry System.
However, do keep in mind that you will get points under the CRS if you have a valid job offer.
How many CRS points do I get if I have a valid job offer?
If you have a valid job offer under the Express Entry, you can get –
- For NOC 00 jobs – 200 CRS points
- For NOC 0, A and B jobs – 50 CRS points
How often are the Express Entry draws held?
Typically, regular draws from the Express Entry pool are held every 2 weeks.
If I am selected, how much time will I get to apply?
The Government of Canada has a standard processing time of 6 months for permanent resident applications that are filed through the Express Entry system.
How many will Canada invite under Express Entry in 2020-21?
The target for admission of new permanent residents through the 3 federal high-skilled programs – FSTP, FSWP, and CEC – is 85,800 in 2020, and 88,800 in 2021.
What are the eligibility requirements to become a Canadian citizen?
- Applicants must have stayed as a permanent resident for 1095 days as a permanent resident in the five years before the date of filing the citizenship application. This need not be a continuous stay.
- Every day spent by applicants as a temporary resident is counted as half a day before they become permanent residents.
- This is taken on account when calculating the number of days spent in the country to qualify for citizenship.
Apart from gaining a PR status and staying in Canada as a permanent resident for a stipulated period, the other requirements are:
Applicants must have paid the income tax under the Income tax act for a minimum of three years out of the five years as a permanent resident
They must have good language skills and prove that they can speak English or French fluently. You need to pass a test that will measure your speaking, writing, reading and listening skills in that language.
What is the processing time for Canadian citizenship?
The processing time starts once you submit your application whether online, by mail or in person.
Once your application is submitted, the authorities ensure that you have submitted your responses to all the questions in the form, sent all the required documents and paid the fees. They will then send you the acknowledgement of receipt (AOR). This will contain your unique client identifier (UCI). The AOR is an indication that your letter is ready to be processed.
However, if your application has any missing information, or if certain documents are missing or does not contain the fee receipt then your application will be sent back, and you will have to resubmit it.
Is it possible to have more than one Express Entry profile?
No. To apply for Canada immigration you can have only one profile at a time according to Canadian immigration law. Having more than one profile will not increase your chances of being invited or getting invited under a different program.
Is an Educational Credential Assessment necessary to apply under Express Entry?
In order to gain points for your educational qualification under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you must have:
- Gained an educational qualification in Canada
- Have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for your foreign education for your immigration application
Why is it necessary to take a language test for Express Entry even if I can speak native English or French?
A language test is necessary because for immigration, every applicant is assessed by the same standards irrespective of their language of origin, nationality, or ethnicity.
The conditions for the language test include:
- The candidate must take a standard test that is conducted by an objective third party. This ensures a fair and unbiased assessment of the candidate’s language skills.
- Native speakers of English language or candidates from an English-speaking country, are also required to take a test. This holds good for those from a French-speaking country, or native French language speakers as well.
- Candidates will have to submit third-party language results for all programs under Express Entry. The results of the language tests must be included in the Express Entry profile.
- Language tests are also required for skilled immigration programs
What are the language tests one can take to apply under the Express Entry program?
Canadian immigration authorities accept the following tests for Express Entry:
CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program – CELPIP-General
IELTS: International English Language Testing System – General Training
TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français
TCF Canada : Test de connaissance du français
How can a candidate get more points under Express Entry if they have 2 or more degrees or diplomas?
In order to get the full points for more than one education credential, the following conditions must be met:
- The candidate must have at least one of the credentials for a program that is 3 or more years in duration
- The candidate should have a valid educational credential assessment (ECA) for each credential
- The order in which a candidate completes the credentials does not affect the points
Here is the process to enter the education credentials if you are applying for Express Entry
Complete all the fields in the Education history section in your profile. After you have finished, click Save and add.
Once you do this, the details you entered about your study period will be saved to the table below the Save and add button. After this, the fields will go blank so that you can add another study period.
Ensure that you add all the study periods you want to be assessed for the required points and enter each educational credential in a separate row in the Education history table.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.