Canada PR Visa
If you wish to migrate to Canada, one of your options is to apply for a Permanent Resident (PR) visa. With a Canada PR visa you will be given a permanent resident status. The validity of a PR visa is five years which can later be renewed.
With Canada permanent residency, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- You can live, work and study anywhere in Canada
- You are eligible for healthcare and other social benefits enjoyed by Canadian citizens
- You will get protection under Canadian law
- You can apply for Canadian citizenship in the future
Applying for Canada Permanent Resident (PR) visa
To apply for Canada PR visa, you will have to go through an application process where you should apply under any one of Canada’s immigration program to apply for a PR visa. Canada offers different immigration programs, among these the most popular are:
Express Entry Program
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Business Immigration Program
Family class Immigration
The most popular immigration program to obtain a Canada PR visa is the Express Entry program.
The Canada PR process under the Express Entry system includes three programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
A candidate applying for the PR visa through the Express Entry program will have to go through a points-based selection system. To be able to apply under the Express Entry program, you should be able to get 67 points out of 100 in the eligibility factors given below:
- Age: Those between 18-35 years get maximum points. Those above 35 get lesser points while the maximum age to qualify is 45 years.
- Education: Under this category your educational qualification must be equal to higher secondary education under Canadian standards.
- Work experience: For minimum points you should have at least one-year full-time work experience. More years of work experience means more points. Your occupation must be listed as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
- Language ability: You must have at least 6 bands in your IELTS rest and the score must be less than 2 years old. You get extra points if you are proficient in French.
- Adaptability: If your spouse or common law partner is willing to migrate with you to Canada, you are entitled to 10 extra points for adaptability.
- Arranged employment: You can gain a maximum of 10 points if you have a valid offer from a Canadian employer.
Steps to apply under the Express Entry program
Step 1: Create your Express Entry profile
As a first step, you will have to create your online Express Entry profile. The profile should include credentials that include age, work experience, education, language skills, etc.
Step 2: Complete your ECA
If you have done your education outside Canada, you should complete an Educational Credentials Assessment or ECA. This is to prove that your educational qualifications are equal to those awarded by the Canadian educational system.
Step 3: Complete your language ability tests
As the next step in the Express Entry program, you should take the required English language proficiency tests. The recommendation is a score of 6 bands in IELTS. Your test score should be less than 2 years old at the time of application.
You will gain extra points if you know French. To prove your proficiency in French, you can give a French language test like the Test de evaluation de Francians (TEF).
Step 5: Get your CRS score
The profiles in the Express Entry pool are ranked based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. Based on the profile of applicants a CRS score is given which will help to provide a ranking in the Express Entry pool. The assessment fields for the score include:
- Language ability
- Work experience
- Other factors
Your profile gets selected for the Express Entry draw if you have the required CRS score for that draw.
Step 5: Get your Invitation to Apply (ITA)
If your profile gets selected from the Express Entry pool, provided you have the minimum score for the Express Entry draw. After this, you will get an ITA from the Canadian government after which you can start the documentation for your PR visa.
Application through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) for PR visa
Canada offers nearly 80 different Provincial Nominee Program or PNP which have their individual eligibility requirements. The PNP program allows provinces to meet their individual immigration needs by helping them fill jobs that are in demand and meet labor shortages in their province.
Most PNPs require applicants to have some connection to the province. However, there are some PNPs which require no previous connection to the province you are applying for, you can apply directly to the PNP program of that province.
If you opt for the PNP to apply for your PR visa, these are the steps:
- You must apply in the province or region where you desire to settle.
- You could be nominated by the province to apply for a PR visa if your profile meets the eligibility criteria.
- You can apply for your PR visa after you are nominated by a province.
The criteria for evaluating the PR application differs in each province but the eligibility requirements are similar to the Express Entry Program.
After you receive your provincial nomination, you can apply for a PR visa in that province.
Business Immigration Program
Individuals interested in doing business in Canada can apply for a PR visa through the Canada Business Immigration Program. This program was designed to encourage migrants who can invest or establish a business in Canada. The Canadian government has specified three categories of people for this type of visa.
- Self Employed Persons
Family Class Immigration
Individuals who are permanent residents or citizens of Canada can sponsor their family members for PR status if they are 18 years or older. They are eligible to sponsor the following categories of family members:
- Conjugal partner
- Common-law partner
- Dependent or adopted children
Documents required for Canada PR application
- Valid passport
- Proof of age
- Identity proof
- Certificates to support your educational qualifications
- IELTS scorecard with the valid score
- Certificates to prove medical fitness
- Police clearance certificate
What is PR visa for Canada?
A permanent resident visa (PR visa) allows you to work and live permanently in the country with your family. It allows you to subsequently apply for citizenship.
A PR visa in Canada allows an immigrant to live and work in the country. It provides permanent residency. For the PR visa, the candidate must submit an application to the IRCC.
What are the requirements for PR in Canada?
If you wish to migrate to Canada on a PR visa, there are various immigration programs under which you can migrate. Some popular programs for getting your Canada PR are:
- Express Entry Program
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
- Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP)
Each immigration program has its own set of criteria. If you are applying under a program, you must meet the eligibility requirements. There are some general minimum requirements common to all these programs:
- Applicants should be above 18 years of age
- Applicants should have the minimum educational qualifications equal to higher secondary education in Canada
- Applicants must score the minimum marks in language proficiency tests such as IELTS or CLB Applicants require minimum one year of work experience
What are the Canada PR eligibility points?
The eligibility requirement for the Canada PR is 67 points out of 100. You will need to score at least 67 points under various eligibility criteria to apply for your PR visa.
- Work experience
- Language ability
- Arranged employment
How can I get 67 points in Canadian PR?
You will need to score at least 67 points under various eligibility criteria to apply for a canada PR visa. Your application will be given a score based on the following factors:
Age – maximum 12 points
Points will be awarded to applicants for their age. They can obtain a maximum 12 points. The age calculation is done from the day your application is received.
Education – maximum 25 points
You can score a maximum 25 canada immigration points for your education. If you have an overseas education, you must have an ECA report from an authorized agency.
Experience – maximum 15 points
Canada immigration points will also be incurred for your work experience. You can obtain points for the number of years you worked full-time or part-time. You can obtain a maximum 15 points for this factor.
Language skills – maximum 28 points
Knowledge of english and or french will help you obtain a maximum 28 points.
Arranged employment in canada – maximum 10 points
You can also obtain canada immigration points for a job offer of minimum 1-year from an employer in canada. You must get this offer prior to submitting your PR application.
Adaptability – maximum 10 points
Based on your past study, jobs, and relatives in canada, you will be awarded points. If you are immigrating to canada with your common-law partner or spouse, you could be eligible for additional points under the adaptability category.
How can I get 450 score for Canada PR?
The best way to gain more points for your Express Entry profile is to get a qualified job offer. An ITA is unlikely to be awarded to a profile with a score of 400 points. However, the same profile with a qualified job offer receives a minimum of 450 points.
Is a CRS score of 400 points enough for Canada PR?
It is difficult to get an ITA for Canada PR with a CRS score of 400 points, however if you apply for a PR visa under PNP which is linked to the Express Entry, you can get 600 additional points if you obtain a PNP nomination. This will be added to his CRS score under the Express Entry system.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.