Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program Details
The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is one of the three programs within the Express Entry System that an aspiring immigrant can apply under for permanent residence in Canada.
Candidates wishing to apply under the FSWP for immigration to Canada must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by creating their online Express Entry profile.
The selection factors for the FSWP are like those for Express Entry and includes the following criteria:
Language ability- this includes English and/or French language skills
Having a valid job offer
To be eligible for the FSWP, candidates must score at least 67 points in all the above criteria.
Apart from this, candidates must fulfil the following conditions to qualify for the FSWP:
- Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation
- Qualify for Arranged Employment with a Labor Market Impact Assessment and a full-time, permanent job offer from a Canadian employer
- Have completed a PhD in Canada, or have completed two years of study in Canada towards a PhD in a recognized institution
- A foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.
- Pass a minimum threshold of language ability for one of Canada’s two official languages (English/French)
Apart from this all applicants must meet the health and security requirements as indicated by the IRCC.
Process fee ($825) and right of permanent residence fee ($500)
Your application (Without the right of permanent residence fee)
Include your spouse or partner
Process fee ($825 and right of permanent residence fee ($500)
Include your spouse or partner (without right of permanent residence fee)
If an applicant meets the eligibility criteria, the application makes it to the Express Entry System after which they will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residence.
- Completed application form
- Valid passport
- Receipt to prove the payment of processing fees
- Proof of identity and civil status
- Proof of educational and professional qualifications
- Proof of work experience
- Certificate proving language proficiency
- Canadian ECA
- Police clearance certificate
- Proof of having the required funds to support themselves and family members after coming to Canada
Processing Time & Fee
The applications for the Federal Skilled Workers Program are usually processed in six months or less.
The table below outlines the processing fees for the Federal Skilled Worker program:
|Fees for principal applicant ($550 processing fee + $490 right of permanent residence fee)||$1,040|
|Fees for spouse or common-law partner ($550 processing fee + $490 right of permanent residence fee)||$1,040|
|A dependent child of the principal applicant who is under 22||$150 per child|
In addition to the processing fee, the applicant may have to pay additional fees for:
- Medical examination.
- A police clearance certificate, if it is required as part of the crime and security check and.
- Language testing, as required
Y-Axis Can Help You With
- Qualification / Education Assessment
- Customized Document Checklist and critical document templates
- Guidance on key documentation requirements
- Filing of an online application form to create a profile for Invitation
How do I apply for FSTP?
Through Express Entry which manages the applications for 3 economic immigration programs –
- Federal Skilled Trades Program [FSTP]
- Canadian Experience Class [CEC]
- Federal Skilled Worker Program [FSWP]
To increase your chances of being invited to apply for Canada PR – When in the Express Entry pool, lodge Expression of Interest [EOI] with provinces/territories that are part of the Provincial Nominee Program [PNP].
Is there any educational requirement for FSTP?
There is no educational requirement for FSTP.
Do I have to show proof of funds for FSTP?
Generally, proof of funds is needed when applying under FSWP or FSTP.
But, no proof of settlement funds is needed if the applicant –
- Currently has work authorization in Canada, and
- Has a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.
Do note that both conditions must be met.
What skill level is needed for FSTP?
Occupations that come under FSTP all require Skill Type B as per the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification [NOC].
Do I have to stay in a specific part of Canada?
If eligible for FSTP, you can stay in any part of Canada except Quebec. The province of Quebec has its own selection process.
At the time of filling your profile, you will have to mention where you plan to live in Canada. But it is not mandatory to settle in that province/state.
Do note that if you are nominated by a province/territory through the Provincial Nominee Program [PNP], you must settle in the province/territory that has nominated you.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.