Italy Student Permit:

International students wishing to study in Italy can choose from a variety of institutions in the country, including state universities, private universities, and technical universities. The institutes follow a five-year education schedule, with a bachelor’s degree taking three years and a master’s degree taking two years.

 There are four types of courses available at Italian universities:

  • University diploma
  • Bachelor of Arts/ Science
  • Research doctorate
  • Diploma of Specialization

Italy like all the other European countries follows the Bologna system.

Italy student permit requirements

Non-EU citizens must obtain a student permit in order to study in Italy. There are two types of student permits depending on the length of the program:

  • Visa type C: Short-stay permit or travel permit valid for one or more entries and for a period not exceeding 90 days
  • Visa type D: Long-stay permit valid for more than 90 days
Italian language requirement

While international students may enroll in English-taught courses, it is beneficial for them to learn Italian. This will assist them in communicating with the local community and becoming acquainted with the culture.

Student housing and living expenses

The cost of living, such as rental rates, is higher in larger cities than in smaller cities. Students must weigh living costs such as food, housing, and social events when deciding to study here. Larger cities, such as Milan and Rome, have higher cost of living.

Working while studying

If they have a work permit, students from non-EU countries can work here during their course. This necessitates an offer of employment from an Italian employer.

Which permit do I need to study in Italy?

You will need a Long-stay permit [national D visa] for staying in Italy beyond 3 months. National D visas are issued for work, study, and family reunion.

Type C visa is required when the duration of stay [for reasons such as study] is less than 3 months.

speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.