Quebec in Canada has introduced new proposals under which the immigration levels are expected to increase to 52,500 by 2022. The new proposals were introduced on 7th June.
An increase of 10,500 immigrants to Quebec is expected as compared to the target of 42,000 in 2019.
Public hearings on migration will commence on 12th August based on the newly introduced proposals.
The immigration levels in Quebec were 53,084, 52,388 and 51,118 respectively between 2015 and 2018.
A temporary reduction in immigration was introduced by the CAQ (Coalition Avenir Quebec) in 2018. This was done to address concerns that new immigrants were unable to integrate into the province. The Immigration Ministry (MIDI) said that the reduction was necessary to overhaul the integration services and programs. The base of the reforms has been laid, however, the policies and programs to achieve the goals are yet to be made.
Quebec, thus, expects a gradual increase in immigration levels by 3,000 to 4,000 a year between 2020 and 2022. This gradual increase will allow both the state as well as the civil society to allow newcomers to integrate into Quebec society.
Quebec aims to achieve immigration levels between 49,500 and 52,500 by 2022, as per CIC News. It aims to achieve 65% of the same through its economic immigration programs. The province aims to achieve 59% of its immigration intake through its economic immigration programs in 2019.
Other new proposals recommended are as below:
- Favouring international graduates and overseas workers who have acquired a degree in Quebec. Such immigrants who are already residing in Quebec and meet the labour needs of the province will be prioritized.
- Favouring overseas workers who have a job offer or in-demand training which fulfil the short-term labour market requirements of Quebec
- Expedite the arrival of newcomers in Quebec to address the province’s labour market needs faster
- Support employers in Quebec to hire temporary foreign workers. This can be done by decreasing procedural delays before their arrival and initiate procedures which help meet the workforce needs.
- Promote the selection of migrants who know the democratic values of Quebec and those enshrined in the Charter of Human Rights and Freedom of Quebec.
- Increase the number of French-speaking adults by increasing access to French-language training run by the Govt.
- Encourage more young people to settle permanently in the province to counter the rapidly ageing resident population
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…