People often misuse the institution of marriage for a visa. To eradicate fake marriages, the Govt. has introduced stringent rules for the UK Spouse Visa. Getting a UK Spouse Visa can be a complex and cumbersome process.
Here is everything that you should know about the UK Spouse Visa:
What is the Spouse Visa?
Spouses and common-law partners of British citizens and PRs can apply for the Spouse Visa to join their partner in the UK. The Spouse Visa is generally valid for 2.5 years.
You are allowed to work in the UK on a Spouse Visa. However, you are not eligible to get benefits like tax credits and housing assistance in the UK.
What are the relationship requirements of a Spouse Visa?
You and your partner should be above 18 years while applying for a Spouse Visa. It is imperative that you and your partner should have met in person. You should also have the intention to settle down permanently in the UK.
You should be in a legal marriage or a civil relationship which is recognized in the UK. To prove the same, you will need to provide marriage or a civil partnership certificate.
You will also need to prove that you and your partner are in a genuine relationship. To prove the same, you can provide the following evidence:
- Chat logs and text messages as proof of communication between you and your partner
- Documents (flight bookings, hotel bookings etc) to prove that you have travelled to visit each other
- Photos of both of you together during your relationship
- Marriage certificate or Civil partnership certificate
- Divorce certificate (if applicable)
You may provide other evidence as well to prove that you are in an authentic relationship.
What are the financial requirements of the UK Spouse Visa?
You should have sufficient funds to take care of yourself in the UK. You should be able to sustain yourself without relying on public funds.
If you have no dependent children, you will need to have a yearly joint income of at least £18,600. If you do have dependent children, you will need extra £3,800 for your eldest child. For every subsequent child, you would need to have an additional £2,400 per child.
What is the English requirement of the UK Spouse Visa?
You will need to take an approved English test to prove your proficiency in English.
You may be exempted from an English test if:
- You are a citizen of an English-speaking country that is exempted by the Home Office
- You are over 65 years of age
- You have a physical or mental disability that prevents you from taking the test
- You have an exceptionally compassionate circumstance
You would need to have at least an A1 level of English under CEFR to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa.
What are the other documents of a UK Spouse Visa?
You may have to submit a medical certificate proving that you have been screened for TB.
Also, the accommodation that you choose to live in the UK should be yours or owned by your family. Also, it should not be too crowded, as per The Guardian.
What documents do you need for a UK Spouse Visa?
You will need to the following documents for a UK Spouse Visa:
- A valid passport
- Proof of meeting the yearly income requirement
- Proof of being in a genuine and subsisting relationship
- Proof of English proficiency
- Have the right to live in or the necessary visa to live in the country that you are applying for the Spouse Visa from
- Medical certificate proving you have been screened for TB
Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa and immigration services as well as products to the aspiring overseas immigrants including the UK Study Visa, Australia Visitor Visa, Canada Evaluation With Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant, and Canada Express Entry
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate Overseas, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…