Canada’s border with the US will remain closed to non-essential travel. This was confirmed by Canadian authorities and the border closure will be in effect at least until November 21, 2020.
This extension of border closure by another month is similar to the kind of extensions that have been happening for the past few months. The last expiration date for the border closure was on October 21, 2020.
The decision for an extension has been taken based on the best public health advice from professionals. The aim is to ensure that Canadians are safe and protected from the COVID-19 pandemic.
It’s been 8 months now that the longest land border of the world has stayed closed. This was necessary especially in the event of the exponentially rising number of cases in the US.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has reiterated his commitment to the people of Canada. He has stated that as long as the number of COVID-19 cases stays high in the USA, the Canada-US border will remain closed.
Canada is also battling a second wave of COVID-19 pandemic these days in several of its provinces. The travel restrictions imposed by the country is done with exemptions such as:
- International students who held a valid Canada study visa, or had been approved for one when the travel restrictions were imposed on March 18, 2020. More international students will be permitted to arrive to study in Canada from October 20, 2020, under a new exemption.
- PR applicants who had been approved for Canada PR before the travel restrictions were brought into effect on March 18, 2020, but are yet to travel to Canada.
- Immediate family members of citizens and PRs of Canada are also exempt in case they will stay in Canada for at least 15 days.
- Caregivers, fish/seafood workers, Seasonal agricultural workers, and all other temporary foreign workers.
- Extended family members of citizens and PRs, and foreign nationals traveling on compassionate grounds.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
PR – Permanent Residence / Permanent Resident