The rising number of COVID-19 cases has forced Canada to extend its travel restrictions until Halloween, I.e. October 31, 2020. Foreign travelers will not be allowed to enter Canada for non-essential purposes.
At the end of October 2020, Canada will have to decide whether more extension will be needed for travel restrictions. The Canada immigration Levels Plan targets set for 2021-2023 will also have to be reconsidered.
Canada started with its border closure and travel restrictions On March 18, 2020. The first term of restrictions was till June 30, 2020. Since then, extensions have been made on a monthly basis.
Even if travelers won’t be allowed in Canada to arrive on a tourist visa and for recreation, travel restrictions will be waived for certain types of travelers. They are:
- protected persons
- immediate family members of Canadians
- Canadian citizens (even dual citizens) or PRs
- certain people with approval for Canadian PR
- certain temporary foreign workers
- certain international students
- anyone else falling under the list of exempted people as shown on the government’s webpage
Anybody who crosses the Canadian border has to undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days. Nevertheless, some people are exempted from this requirement. They are:
- those invited by the health minister to help with the COVID-19 response, as well as other healthcare workers
- those crossing into Canada aboard a “vessel” to conduct research, as long as they stay on the vessel
- crew members
- those crossing the border in a trans-border community
- members of visiting forces who are coming to work in Canada
- those arriving to get medical services within 36 hours of their arrival
- those in other circumstances listed in the Order in Council
Canada’s restrictions on travelers from the US comes under a separate order. It imposes limited border-crossing at the US-Canadian border. This order has also been subject to monthly revision and has been extended more than once.
Though Canada has been successful in flattening the pandemic infection curve from May till August 2020. But in late August 2020, the number of cases began to increase again.
Though Canada continues to issue PR invitations to foreigners throughout the time COVID-19 infection. These are people present in Canada currently as well as those staying abroad. However, the number of people arriving in Canada after getting PR is far lesser than pre-pandemic times.
Also, it has been stipulated that only those who received their PR approvals prior to March 18, 2020, are eligible to travel to Canada right now.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
PR – Permanent Resident / Permanent Residence
PNP – Provincial Nominee Program