Spain study visa
If you want to study in Spain and are not from an EU country, you will need to apply for a student visa. After you have obtained confirmation from the university that you have been accepted, you can apply for a visa.
Spain student visa
The visa you will have to apply for will be based on the duration of your course. The details are as explained below:
- 180-days D type visa – if duration of course is between three and six months
- Student visa (type D) – if duration of course is more than six months
The Type D visa makes you eligible for the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE). This is a short-term visa that allows you to remain in the country for the duration of your studies. TIE is valid for a period of one academic year and can be renewed every year until you complete your studies.
When you are in the country on a short-term visa, you cannot apply for a student visa. Only from your home country can you apply for a visa.
You cannot change your visa form after arriving in Spain on a student visa. Only a visa obtained from a Spanish embassy or consulate will be valid.
Documents required for Spain study visa
- Completed visa application form
- Passport which is valid for the intended period of your stay
- 2 passport size photos
- Certificate of acceptance from the Spanish university
- Information about the study program such as the name of the degree and hours of study per week
- Health insurance valid for the whole period of your studies
- Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study
- Medical certificate
- Proof of having paid the visa application fees
- Criminal record certificate to prove you have no cases
Language requirements to study in Spain
While international students may enroll in English-taught courses, it is beneficial for them to learn Spanish. Spanish is not required for admission to any of the country’s universities.
However, most universities that offer Spanish language programs require applicants to have a strong command of the language. They must have passed a language exam in Spanish. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).
If you want to take an English course, you must pass one of the following exams to demonstrate your proficiency in the language: Cambridge Advanced or IELTS.
Working while studying
Students from non-EU countries can work part-time during their course and full-time during vacations.
What is the ideal time to apply for my Spain student visa?
Make your application as soon as possible. Ideally, you should apply at least three months before the start of your study program in Spain.
What is the basic step-wise process for applying for Spanish student visa?
STEP 1: Download the National Visa Application Form.
STEP 2: Complete the National Visa Application Form.
STEP 3: Gather the required documents.
STEP 4: Submit the application with the documents at the Embassy of Spain
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.