Spain study permit

If you want to Study in Spain and are not from an EU country, you will need to apply for a student permit. After you have obtained confirmation from the university that you have been accepted, you can apply for a permit.

Spain student visa

Spain Study Visa

The permit you will have to apply for will be based on the duration of your course. The Type D permit makes you eligible for the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE). This is a short-term permit that allows you to remain in the country for the duration of your studies. TIE is valid for a period of one academic year and can be renewed every year until you complete your studies.

When you are in the country on a short-term you cannot apply for a student permit. Only from your home country can you apply for a permit.

You cannot change your permit form after arriving in Spain. Only a permit obtained from a Spanish embassy or consulate will be valid.

Language requirements to study in Spain

While international students may enroll in English-taught courses, it is beneficial for them to learn Spanish. Spanish is not required for admission to any of the country’s universities.

However, most universities that offer Spanish language programs require applicants to have a strong command of the language. They must have passed a language exam in Spanish. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).

If you want to take an English course, you must pass one of the following exams to demonstrate your proficiency in the language: Cambridge Advanced or IELTS.

Working while studying

Students from non-EU countries can work part-time during their course and full-time during vacations.

What is the ideal time to apply for my Spain student permit?

Make your request as soon as possible. Ideally, you should apply at least three months before the start of your study program in Spain.

What is the basic step-wise process for applying for Spanish student permit?

STEP 1: Download the National Visa Application Form.

STEP 2: Complete the National Visa Application Form.

STEP 3: Gather the required documents.

STEP 4: Submit the application with the documents at the Embassy of Spain

speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.