Luxembourg student visa
International students who wish to study in Luxembourg and stay in the country for more than 90 days for this purpose will need to apply for a Luxembourg student visa. This is a long-term visa available to students who have been accepted into a recognized Luxembourg university or college.
Students who want to take a course, a doctoral program, or conduct research may apply for a Luxembourg study visa.
Foreign students who wish to study here must get a student visa before they enter the country.
- Proof of enrolment as a full-time student in one of the universities in Luxembourg
- Proof that you have paid the full tuition fees for the course
- Passport with a validity of at least six months post the completion of the course
- Copy of the completed and signed visa application form
- Proof that you have enough financial resources to support yourself during the course and the funds for your return to your home country
- Original copy of the ‘temporary authorization to stay’ letter from the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Luxembourg
- Health insurance policy that will cover the total number of days you will be staying for the duration of your course. The policy must have a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros
- You must express your intention to leave Luxembourg at the end of your course
Students must apply for a temporary authorization before entering the country. They must send an application to the Luxembourg Immigration Department from their home country. Before they travel to Luxembourg, they must submit this form.
Before entering the country, make sure to:
- Apply for a visa within 90 days of receiving the authorization.
- Submit the application to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
- Make an application for a Type D visa.
After entering the country:
- Make a formal announcement of your arrival
- Undergo a medical examination
- Make an application for a residence permit
How long would it take to get a student visa in Luxembourg?
The Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs has a maximum response time of 60 days.
To ensure that the application process is completed in time for you to begin your course, apply for a student visa at least three months prior to your scheduled departure date.
Is the processing time for a student visa in Luxembourg extended if more documents are required?
If additional information is required, the applicant will be notified. The applicant is given a fair period of time to submit the requested details. The 60-day deadline is postponed until all relevant information is received by a specific date.
How and when do I make declaration of arrival in Luxembourg?
Within 3 days of arrival in Luxembourg, you will be required to make a declaration of arrival at the administration of the particular commune that you intend residing in.
They must submit the following documents:
A valid travel document (passport and, if required, a visa, residency permit, or other authorization provided by another EU Member State) and the initial temporary stay authorization.
Where appropriate, a valid proof of address (e.g., a rental agreement, an energy bill, etc.).
As a receipt, the applicant will receive a copy of the declaration of arrival.
Can students work while studying?
Regardless of nationality, all students studying at the University of Luxembourg are permitted to work throughout their study years, throughout the school holidays (40 hours/week) and/or during the year (15 hours/week).
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.