German Family Reunion Visa

Germany Dependent Permit

The German government encourages family reunification and permits immigrant workers to bring their family members and relatives to Germany on a temporary or permanent basis. The Germany Dependent Permit is also known as the Family Reunion Visa and is a special permit for this purpose.


Immigrant workers who wish to bring their family members to Germany must meet the following conditions:

  • Have enough income to support them and their family
  • Have enough funds to provide housing for the family
  • Family members must have basic understanding of the German language
  • Children must be below 18 years
  • Have a temporary or permanent residence permit or an EU Blue Card
  • Have enough health insurance for them and family members

Your spouse or companion will not need a permit or knowledge of German to enter the country if:

  • You have a Blue Card from the European Union.
  • You work as a research scientist or a highly skilled worker in Germany.
  • Your spouse holds a bachelor’s degree from a university.
Bringing dependent children to Germany

The requirements to bring a child to Germany may change depending on the age of the children.

Minor children

If both parents live in Germany, they can bring their child to the country. A single parent, on the other hand, is allowed to bring their minor child to Germany if he or she has sole custody and care of the child.

Adult children

To be qualified for a Family Reunion Visa, the child must not be married. However, this does not exclude her or him from applying for a different type of permit, such as a German visitor or tourist visa, a study permit to study in Germany, or an employment permit to work in Germany.

  • Proof of accommodation – demonstrating that the German citizen has enough room in their home for the candidate.
  • Proof of the candidate’s German language skills at least at level A1.
  • A foreign officer’s attestation of a registry or marriage certificate, translated into German and legalized by the German embassy
  • A copy of the German spouse’s passport and identification card must be sent if the spouse is of German nationality.
  • If the spouse is a non-German living in Germany, they must have proof of legal residency as well as their passport.
Requirements to sponsor children
  • Certificate of birth
  • Proof of the child’s nationality
  • Evidence of the parent who is living in Germany who has the right to care and custody
Do I need a Germany Dependent Permit?

A Germany Dependent Permit is not required for citizens of the European Economic Area, the European Union, or Switzerland to visit a family member or relative in Germany.

Third-world nationals, i.e., those from countries outside the European Economic Area and the European Union, will require a Germany Dependent Permit to visit their partner, spouse, or relative in Germany.

How much does a Germany Dependent Permit cost?

In most cases, an adult long-term Germany Dependent Permit (category D) costs 75,00 Euros, while children under the age of 18 pay 37,50 Euros.

If you decide to cancel your request after paying the fees, you will not be entitled to a refund. If your permit application is rejected, you will not be reimbursed. If you want to resubmit it for the permit, you’ll have to pay the fee again.

Can I work in Germany on my Dependent Permit?

You can work in Germany on your family reunion visa, provided that the relative you will be joining –

  • Is in Germany as a researcher or highly-skilled person.
  • Has an EU Blue Card.
  • Has a residence permit authorizing them to work.

According to the German law every adult who is living in Germany on a Family Reunion visa is permitted to work provided he meets the above conditions.

Quick Eligibility Check for Points Tested Immigration Visa

Get Latest Immigration Updates

Visa Resources

speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.