Lately, the small to mid-sized Canadian cities have started to attract immigrants as is indicated by the increased Canadian permanent resident population in such areas. Between 2013 and 2019 the population of immigrants in smaller urban centers went up by 45%. When compared to just 9% in major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Calgary, this indicates an important shift in immigration trends.
This observation was stated in the Ryerson University paper, the author of which is David Campbell. He has also shared the observation in his paper that in the 2013-2019 period, the number of new Canada PR visa holders has increased by 40% in the rest of Canada’s CMAs.
What are CMAs?
CMAs are major urban centers consisting of many municipalities that exist around a population center. E.g., Toronto CMA consists of Missuaga, Toronto city, Vaughan, Brampton, and Pickering.
- The number of immigrants per 10,000 residents in small to mid-sized urban centers was more than 100 for 14 smaller urban centers.
- The immigration rate was 193 and 178 per 10,000 in Regina and Saskatchewan respectively, which was higher than in Toronto.
- The 12 smaller urban centers with high immigration rates were:
- Wood Buffalo
- High River
- Swift Current
- These urban centers face challenges like an aging population, declining natural population, and an aging workforce. Hence, immigration has become essential for these areas.
- The COVID-19 travel restrictions are causing further reduction of population in these smaller urban areas. Even though exemptions are given to select types of travelers like TFWs and international students, even those with COPR approved after March 18, 2020, aren’t allowed to come to Canada.
- With provincial immigration programs like PNP, immigration candidates are getting a better reach to the less populous areas of provinces who get to find the required workers for labor market needs.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
CMA – Census Metropolitan Areas
TFW – Temporary Foreign Worker
COPR – Confirmation of Permanent Residence
PNP – Provincial Nominee Program