Migrating from Dubai to Canada as an engineer


My story as an Engineer from Bangalore to Regina in Canada Saba Khan

Like all engineers who pass out of premier engineering schools, I too dreamed of making a career in a field where I could put my engineering skills and education to good use.

My name is Anjana, and this is the story of my migration journey from Dubai to Canada. I completed my engineering degree in Civil Engineering form a premier engineering college in Bengaluru.

I got a job in a reputed construction firm in Bengaluru almost immediately after my graduation. After three years of working in that company, I decided to look for an overseas job. My original intention was to find a job in Canada and become a permanent resident there. I realized that I could have better chances of getting a permanent residence if I had more work experience. Luckily, I landed a job in a real estate development firm in Dubai. I was keen to take up this job because it would give me more exposure and help me enhance my skills. So, I moved to Dubai and decided to gain some more work experience.

After another four years of working in Dubai, I had done enough research on migrating abroad and decided to try for migration to Canada.

Looking for a job in Canada

 I started looking for work in Canada. I explored various internet portals and forums. There are numerous communities to choose from. I was astounded by the amount of internet assistance available to any immigrant, whether prospective, intending to immigrate, or already in the country.

 After speaking with a number of people online, I discovered that Canada has the shortest immigration process of any country. The federal government of Canada uses the Express Entry system to handle immigration applications and has a standard processing period of 6 months. Canada’s Express Entry consists of three distinct programs.

  • Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The Canadian Experience Class or CEC is suitable for those who have previously lived in Canada.  The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for federal trained workers, is the best for immigration aspirants who are skilled in a specific trade.

The Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP) is the most popular of them all. This is only for professionals. However, the majority of immigration applicants uses the FSWP.

Using the FSWP route

I managed to find a job in Canada before I made my permanent residence application. I found a job through Jobs Bank, the official job portal of the Canadian government.

As for my CRS score, I was able to get a score of more than 450 points. I got a good number of points for my decent band score in the IELTS and 50 CRS points for my job offer.

As I was to go to Canada on my own, I could not claim points for the spouse for my Express Entry ranking. That meant I had to try and score the highest CRS points that I could manage. My English is decent enough and I was confident of getting a good Band score on my IELTS. So, I was hopeful of getting an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for my PR visa.

 Getting my ITA

 I discovered that the best way to get an ITA from the federal government of Canada is to acquire a provincial nomination.

My priority was a province that could get me the best job opportunities in Canada for an engineer. I found out that the best job opportunities are present in provinces such as Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick. When creating my Express Entry profile, I marked the option of ‘all provinces.’ I was lucky to get a nomination from Nova Scotia province.

Job offer may be useful to get a PR visa

Although a job offer is not required for Canada immigration in general, having a genuine and verifiable job offer in Canada is extremely beneficial if you plan to immigrate there in the future.

A job offer in Canada boosts your chances of acquiring a Canada PR Visa, from the 67-point FSWP qualifying for Express Entry to the ranking in the Express Entry pool based on the candidate’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score.

Check your eligibility to apply for Canada immigration

You can always apply for a permanent residency visa in Canada first and then look for work after you land there.

Getting a PR visa

I was getting my documentation ready while waiting for my invitation from Nova Scotia. Within a week of receiving my invitation, I had filed my application!

I received a nomination. Being a provincial nominee, I received 600 CRS points. I received an invitation from IRCC to participate in the subsequent Express Entry draw on August 8, 2020.

I recall the minimum CRS cut-off being 471 at the time. My provincial nomination was in the CRS 800+ level.  I concluded that getting a provincial nomination is a surefire path to permanent residency in Canada.

Get the help of an immigration consultant

If you have any concerns about immigration, please seek professional help. You can always finish the procedure on your o own. In most cases, only a basic understanding of English is required.

Immigration consultants such as Y-Axis on the other hand, are aware of what can go wrong and at what point in the process. They are the most accurate assessors of the circumstance. A good consultant will inform you right away if your profile is suitable for immigration to Canada.

On your part, spend some time doing your own research. Always ask questions and make sure you understand the words. Immigration is both a financial and a time commitment. Take the right steps with professional advice.

About author View all posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five × four =