A work visa is required if you desire to work in Canada. In Canada, the work visa is referred to as a work permit. If you are not a permanent resident but receive a job offer from a Canadian employer, you will need to apply for a work permit.
Types of work permits
Work permits are divided into two categories: open work permits and employer-specific work permits. You can work for any employer in Canada if you have an open work permit. Because this visa is not job-specific, applicants do not need to submit a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a letter of employment from a company that has paid the compliance fee.
You can work for any employer with an open work permit, save for those who do not follow labor laws or provide services such as escort services, exotic massage, or exotic dancing.
As the name implies, an employer specific work permit allows you to work for a single employer.
Eligibility requirements for a work permit
You must have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members and return to your home country once the work permit expires
Have no criminal record and have police clearance certificates
Not be a security risk to Canada
Have good health and undergo a medical examination of required
Not be planning to work for an employer with an “ineligible” status on the list of employers who have failed to meet the conditions
Offer the officer any other documents that they request to prove that you can enter the country
- Passport with validity for more than six months after your planned date of entry into Canada
- Proof of your educational qualifications
- Marriage certificate if applicable
- Birth certificates of children if applicable
- Medical examination certificate-you need to complete a medical exam to be eligible to work in childcare, health services, primary or secondary school teaching or in agriculture field
You can apply for a work permit from within Canada
- If you are currently working or studying in Canada or if your spouse or parents have a study or work permit.
- If you have completed your graduation from a Canadian university
- If you have a temporary resident permit which is valid for six months or longer
- If you have applied for a PR visa or have been included in an application
Eligibility requirements to apply for a work permit from inside Canada
In order to apply for a work permit from inside Canada, you must meet certain conditions. These include:
- Having a valid study permit
- Your spouse or common law partner or parents have a study or work permit
- You are a graduate from a program at a Canadian University
- You have a temporary residence permit that is valid for six months
- You have made a PR application from inside Canada and waiting for a response
- You have made or intend to make a claim for refugee protection
- You have been recognized as a refugee by the IRCC
- You are a trader, investor, under intra-company transfer or are a professional under NAFTA
Bringing your family on a work permit
Applicants may bring their spouse or partner and small children on the open work visa if they provide their documents in the application so that they can be assessed as a family.
Work permit for provinces
The BC PNP Tech Pilot of British Columbia is a streamlined framework for handling applications submitted across existing channels that also meets the pilot’s unique specifications. Two of the five BC immigration streams eligible for the Tech Pilot are aligned with Express Entry while the other three are not.
The BC Tech Pilot recognizes 29 technology occupations that meet the criteria. The program sends out invites to qualified applicants once a week.
An applicant must apply for one of the five aligned programs and have a work offer in one of the 29 listed fields (for at least one year, with at least 120 days remaining at the time of application). Priority processing over other immigration applications, weekly draws, and a dedicated concierge program to assist employers are among the advantages of this pilot.
The Ontario PNP also conducts tech draws from time to time. Applicants must qualify for the Ontario’s Human Capital Priorities stream. Candidates must be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Canadian Experience Class. Applicants should have work experience in one of the following six tech occupations: computer programmers and interactive media developers; computer engineers; web designers and developers; database analysts and data administrators; and computer and information systems managers.
Getting a permanent residency after coming to Canada on a work permit
Applicants who have filed for a PR visa but whose job expires before the application is approved will be granted a Bridging Open Work Permit. They will not be obliged to leave the country between the expiration of their old permission and the issuance of their new one.
A work permit visa allows you to work and stay in Canada for a limited time. You can, however, apply for permanent residency in the country at any time.