Study Overseas Process

Sign up for free

expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Personalized Services
Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Posted on November 17 2022

4 out of 5 people became Canadian citizens through naturalization process

profile-image
By  Editor
Updated July 25 2023

Highlights: 91.2 percent population in Canada are citizens

  • According to the 2021 census report, 33.1million people in Canada are citizens
  • Four out of five immigrants received Canadian citizenship
  • Most of the temporary and permanent residents in Canada are Indians
  • One in ten permanent residents is Chinese
  • France is the third country among non-permanent residents in Canada

*Check your eligibility to migrate to Canada through the Y-Axis Canada Immigration Points Calculator.

Most people in Canada are citizens of the country

Statistics Canada revealed the details of citizenship available from the census of 2021. According to the report, 33.1 million population (91.2 percent) in Canada have become citizens either through birth or citizenship by naturalization. A permanent resident can become a Canadian citizen through the naturalization process. The remaining 8.8 percent are either permanent or temporary residents.

Naturalization rate in Canada

According to the census, four out of five immigrants became eligible to receive the status of Canadian citizen. The rate of naturalization dropped from 87.8 percent in 2011. This happened due to the changes in the policies which are as follows:

  • The requirements for physical presence for naturalization were changed between 2005 and 2017 from three years to four years. Later, the requirement again changed back to three years.
  • In 2015, the fee to apply for citizenship was increased and currently, it is $630. In 2019, it was announced that the fee will be removed to reduce the cost for individuals and families having a low income. After the waiving of the fee, more people will become eligible for naturalization.

Countries from where most people come

The first country from where individuals migrate to Canada is India. The second country is China as one in ten permanent and temporary residents is Chinese. The next country trailing China is Philippines. France is another country from where non-permanent residents are residing in Canada.

The age of Canadian citizens who were born in the country is increasing and has reached the age of retirement. This is leading to shortage of workers so more immigration is needed.

*Check your eligibility to migrate to Quebec through the Y-Axis Quebec Immigration Points Calculator.

Non-permanent residents in Quebec from France who meet the policies of the province and the federal government will also look for Francophone immigration in Canada.

Willing to migrate to Canada from UAE? Talk to Y-Axis, the world’s no. 1 overseas immigration consultant in UAE.

If you found this blog engaging, you may also like …

Canada Immigration gets CAD1.6 billion investment for 2023-25 plans

Canada Immigration Levels Plan 2023-2025 targets 1.5 Million migrants

Tags:

Canadian citizenship

Permanent residence in Canada

Share

Y-Axis Services

Personalized Services

Get it on your mobile

Personalized Services

Get News alerts

Personalized Services

Contact Y-Axis

Latest Article

Popular Post

Trending Article

Latest Express Entry Draw invites 1499 candidates to apply for Canada PR

Posted On June 20 2024

Latest Express Entry Draw invites 1499 candidates to apply for Canada PR