Why work in the UK?

  • Average salary in UK is in the range of £20,000 and £27,000
  • Working hours per week is in between 30 and 35 hours
  • Paid vacation for 30 to 45 days
  • Apply for PR visa after working for 3 to 5 years

UK Skilled Worker Permit

The UK Skilled Worker Permit was created to allow highly skilled foreign workers to enter the UK labor market and then stay permanently in the country. The Skilled Worker Permit has replaced the Tier 2 Visa in the UK.

With this permit, skilled workers from other countries are selected based on a shortage occupation list and receive an offer letter without having to pass a labor market examination, allowing them to remain in the UK for up to 5 years. This acts as a work permit to the UK.

Top jobs in demand in the UK
  • IT and Software
  • Engineering
  • Accounting and Finance
  • Human Resources Management
  • Hospitality
  • Sales & Marketing
  • Healthcare
  • Teaching
  • Nursing
Top IT skills in demand in the UK

Tech world is changing continuously and now it has become necessary to have the tech and IT skills for the companies because of the changing trends.

Programming Languages
  • C++
  • Python
  • JavaScript
  • SQL
  • Java

Frontend technologies are prospering and JavaScript is one of them. All of these languages is being used by the companies for streamlining the processes across all the systems.


DevOps is a digital skill that is being used to make a bridge between software development and operations teams. The technology is in high demand in the UK and professionals are also needed for this technology.

Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning

Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning is also a growing technology in the UK. The jobs that professionals can get by learning these technologies are:

  • Data Architect
  • Data Warehouse Developer
  • Data Analyst
Cloud Computing

Computing power and data storage is always a need in the computing world and this has increased the usage if cloud computing technology. Cloud computing professionals are in high demand in the UK.


Cybercrime attacks has increased have increased in the UK in the recent years and there is a high demand for the cyber security professionals in the UK to reduce these attacks.


There is an increase in the CRM skills by 14 percent and this has led to provide jobs to 7.2 million professionals globally.

Top IT Designations in the UK
Job Title Average starting salary
Dev Ops Engineer £40,000
Software Engineer £35,000
Python Developer £35,000
Data Scientist £31,000
Software Developer £27,000
Cyber Security Specialist £25,000
Mobile Application Developer £20,000
Top Industry in UK – Tier 2 Sponsors
Industry Technology
Information Technology 4074
Retail 2714
Manufacturing 2372
Management 2362
Hospitality 2064
HR & Admin 2024
BFSI 1505
Engineering (Construction) 807
List of UK Visa Sponsored Employers (Y-Directories) Tier – 2
Industry Count
IT 5641
BFSI 2651
Engineering 1264
Healthcare 2712
Hospitality 983
Sales & Marketing 1247
Education 2629
Automotive 435
Oil & Gas 488
FMCG 321
Accounting 510
Restaurants 1411
Pharmaceuticals 415
Chemicals 159
Construction 1141
Biotechnology 311
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing 954
Telecommunications 250
Non-Profit/Volunteering 883
Machinery 655
Industry wise jobs on the Rise 2022 – UK – LinkedIn
Industry Designation Most Common Skills Top Hiring Locations Remote Jobs Availability
Information Technology Machine Learning Engineer Deep Learning, TensorFlow, Machine Learning, Python London, Cambridge, Edinburgh 18.10%
Data Scientist
Software Engineer
Data Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer  Terraform, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS) London, Edinburgh, Newcastle upon Tyne 41.30%
DevOps Consultant
System Administrator
Salesforce Administrator Salesforce.com Administration, Salesforce.com Implementation, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) London, Leeds, Sheffield 28.20%
Salesforce Consultant
Customer Relationship Management Analyst
Business Analyst
Computer Vision Engineer Computer Vision, OpenCV, Image Processing London, Edinburgh, Cambridge 26.50%
Software Engineer
Machine Learning Engineer
Data Engineer Aache, Spark, Hadoop, Python

(Programming Language)

London, Edinburgh, Manchester 27.40%
Data Analyst
Business Intelligence Developer
Back End Developer Go (Programming Language), Git, Amazon Web Services (AWS) London, Manchester, Glasgow 43.80%
Full Stack Engineer
Web Developer
Procurement Import Specialist Freight Forwarding, Customs Regulations, International Logistics London, Felixstowe, Manchester, Dover 3.40%
Import Manager
Import Clerk
Freight Forwarder
Import Export Specialist
Sales & Marketing Business Development Representative Product Management, Product Strategy, Agile Methodologies London, Glasgow, Oxford 21.10%
Strategy Associate
Vice President of Products
Director of Product Management, Chief Product Officer, Vice President of Product Strategy, Head of Product, Product Team Manager
Human Resource Chief Human Resources Officer Succession Planning, Culture Change, Talent Management, Employee Engagement, London, Belfast, Manchester 13.70%
Talent Management, Chief People Officer, Vice President of Human Resources, Director of HR Operations
Diversity and Inclusion Manager
Talent Acquisition Specialist Recruiting, Sourcing, Interviewing Greater Manchester, Leeds 23.00%
Talent Acquisition Manager, Recruiter, Delivery Consultant, etc.
Education Career Counsellor Coaching, Career Development, Training Delivery London, Birmingham, Manchester 20.60%
Career Advisor
Writing/ Publishing & Media Communications Content Designer User Experience (UX), Content Strategy, Web Content Writing London, Edinburgh, Manchester 21.60%
Content Coordinator, Brand Designer
Copywriter, Editor, Content Manager
Pharma/ Healthcare Laboratory Operations Manager Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Glasgow, London, Manchester 2.00%
Laboratory Supervisor
Laboratory Assistant
Medical Laboratory Scientist
Laboratory Operations Manager
Environmental Science/ Health & Safety Sustainability Manager Sustainable Development, BREEAM, Sustainability Reporting, Environmental Awareness London, Manchester, Bristol 8.30%
Public Health Officer
Project Manager,
Public Health Specialist
Top 5 Industries in UK (General)
Industry Employment number
Supermarkets in the UK 1,288,724
Hospitals in the UK 852,944
Charities in the UK 836,335
Temporary-Employment Placement Agencies in the UK 708,703
General Secondary Education in the UK 695,038
Top Companies in UK (Fortune 500)
1 Walmart $5,59,151
2 Amazon $3,86,064
3 Apple $2,74,515
4 CVS Health $2,68,706
5 UnitedHealth Group $2,57,141
6 Berkshire Hathaway $2,45,510
7 McKesson $2,31,051
8 Amerisource Bergen $1,89,893.90
9 Alphabet $1,82,527
10 Exxon Mobil $1,81,502
Benefits of the Permit
  • These permit holders are allowed to bring their dependents with them.
  • Spouse is permitted to work on the permit.
  • There is no limit to the number of people who may enter the country on this UK work permit.
  • The minimum wage requirement has been lowered from £30000 to £25600.
  • Fast Track Visas will be provided for healthcare professionals like Doctors and Nurses.

Top 10 Highest Paid Performing 2022

Eligibility requirements
  • A score of 70 points to qualify in the defined parameters like specific skills, qualifications, salaries and professions.
  • Minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 2 years of skilled work experience from the eligible occupations list
  • A job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor
  • The job offer must be at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above (A Level and equivalent)
  • English Language requirement at B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
  • Meet the general salary threshold of £25,600, or the specific salary requirement for the occupation or the ‘going rate’.
  • Offer letter from a UK Employer who has a license to sponsor from the Home Office
  • Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)
  • Passport with a validity of 12 months
  • Requirements of your educational qualifications
  • Certificates to prove English language proficiency
  • Proof of having the required maintenance funds which is 1,270 pounds

UK Skilled Worker Visa

Cost of the Permit

Fee structure will depend on how many years you plan to work in the UK, and whether your job is on the skill shortage list.

  • Fees for stay up to 3 years – 610 pounds
  • Costs for stay more than 3 years -1,220 pounds
  • Expenses if your job is in Shortage Occupation List for stay up to 3 years – 464 pounds
  • If job in Shortage Occupation List and you wish to stay for more than three years -928 pounds
  • UK NARIC Fees 49.50 pounds

Apart from the fees you will have to pay a health surcharge of 624 pounds when you submit which will be refunded in case your form is rejected. You should also have proof that you have the funds to support yourself which is 1,270 pounds.

Validity and processing time

The validity of the permit is five years from the date in your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

Processing time: If you submit from outside the UK, you should obtain a verdict on your UK Skilled Worker Permit within three weeks. You can submit up to three months before you plan to start working in the United Kingdom.

How Y-Axis can assist you?

“Get in touch with Y-Axis who will serve you to meet your ambition.”

Y-Axis, the world’s best immigration consultant, is a one-stop service provides that provides all the services related to immigration processes. Some of these services are:

What are the steps to submit for a Skilled Worker Permit?

There are 3 major steps involved in submitting a form for UK Skilled Worker Permit:

Step # 1: Sponsorship license

The employer will submit for a sponsorship license directly to UKVI – UK Permits and Immigration – and will be assessed accordingly.

Step # 2:
 Certificate of Sponsorship

The approved sponsor files a COS – Certificate of Sponsorship form for the occupation they want to fill with a non-resident worker. Once the COS is assigned, the immigrant may submit for a Work Permit.

Step # 3:
 Submitting for the Skilled Worker Permit

The approved sponsor files a COS – Certificate of Sponsorship form for the occupation they want to fill with a non-resident worker. Once the COS is assigned, the immigrant may submit for a Work Permit.

How can you get sponsorship for the Skilled worker Permit?

You must have a job offer from a licensed employer who is able to sponsor workers from other countries.

The employer or sponsor will check to see whether you have the necessary qualifications for the job and whether you are eligible for the permit. If they are pleased, they will issue you a sponsorship certificate, which you will use to submit for the permit.

What is the validity period of a UK Skilled Worker visa?

The validity of the UK Skilled Worker Visa is five years. Immigrants can extend their visas and must apply for the extension before the visa expires. Candidates will also have to apply for a new skilled worker visa if they want to change their employers or jobs.

How many times can the skilled worker visa be extended?

Immigrants can extend their visas as many times as they want. After five years, the visa holders can apply for permanent residence in the UK. The permanent residence status will permit the individuals to live and work in the UK indefinitely.

What is the cost of a UK Skilled Worker Visa?

The candidates have to pay £610 to £1,408. For dependents also, the exact cost applies. The fee is reduced by £55 if applicants belong to any of the following countries:




Republic of Cyprus

Czech Republic














North Macedonia








The fee for the visa will also be reduced if they have applied for a job available on the occupation list. This rule is applicable only for the main applicant and not the dependents. But dependents have to pay the full fee for the visa.

How much time does it take to process the visa application?

The processing time for the skilled worker visa is three months. If employees have applied online and provided all their requirements, the application will be processed if it is sent from outside the UK. If the application has been sent from inside the UK, the processing time is 8 weeks.

Does my business have the opportunity to employ overseas skilled workers?

If you have to employ overseas skilled workers, you need a sponsor license that the Home Office issues. The invited candidates need to apply for the UK Skilled Worker visa.

How many points do the candidates need to apply for a Skilled Worker visa?

Employers are usually uncertain as there is no guarantee that applicants will qualify through the points system. The minimum points that the candidates have to score are 70. Out of these 70 points, 50 points are mandatory, and 20 points are tradable points. The mandatory points for the applicants include the following:

  • The candidates should have a job offer from a UK employer who has a sponsor license. The number of points for this option is 20.
  • The candidates should have a job offer for a required skill level. The number of points for this option is 20.

Proof of English proficiency through the IELTS test and the number of points for this option is 10.

How much time does it take to get a national insurance number?

Usually, the time taken to get a national insurance number is eight weeks. There are situations in which you need to call the helpline number and these situations are as follows:

  • The application for the national insurance number has been sent more than 8 weeks ago
  • If you have moved to another house after applying for the number

If you have made changes to your personal details after applying for the number

How much funds do I need to have to get the national insurance number?

Here is an example which will help you in calculating the money you need to have to get the national insurance number.

If you are earning £1,000, you have to pay £97.13 for getting the number. The calculation goes like this:

  • You need not have to apply anything for the first £242.
  • If the earning is in between £1 and £967, the payment for the number is £96.06
  • If the earning is above £967, an additional amount of £1.07 has to be paid

The table below will show the national insurance number for 2022-2023

Category letter

£123 to £175 (£533 to £758 a month)

£175.01 to £481 (£758.01 to £2,083 a month)

£481.01 to £967 (£2,083.01 to £4,189 a month)

Over £967 a week (£4,189 a month)





























































I do not have a national insurance number. Can I work in the UK?

No! There is no option that you can work in UK without the National Insurance Number. If you are able to prove that you have the right to work in UK, you can start working but you need to have the national insurance number as it is mandatory for all the individuals to apply for it. Here are the conditions which you have to meet to apply for the national insurance number:

  • You have to be physically present in the country
  • You need to have the right to work in the UK and you should also have a work visa
  • You need to have an offer letter or you should be working in the country
  • You are a job seeker in the country

There is no need of a national insurance number if you are applying for the European Union Settlement Scheme or you are applying for a student loan.

Which individuals get the right to rent?

If any of the following applies to any individual, they get the right to rent:

  • Individuals must be a citizen of the Great Britain or the Republic of Ireland.
  • Individuals need to have ILR or indefinite leave to remain
  • Candidates need to be in the category of a refugee status or humanitarian protection
  • In the European Union settlement scheme, individuals should have a settled or a pre-settled status
  • Candidates will get the permission to rent a house if they are on a work or study visa.
What happens if I don't pay National Insurance?

If you will not pay for the national insurance, HMRC will send you a letter and you have to pay the penalty within 30 days. HMRC will let you know that you have missed the payment and the ways to pay the penalty.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.